Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Day 0: Preparing for the Trip

 

Hello everyone, my name is Kate Bradley and I am currently a rising junior at Syracuse University. I am studying in the Sport Management program and my minor is in Emerging Sport Enterprises. I am looking forward to heading to Melbourne tomorrow morning as we embark on our SU abroad adventures. I have never been to Australia before and I am especially looking forward to the opportunity to learn about their thriving sports culture, explore the different cities and rainforests, as well as seeing all of the unique wildlife. 

Currently, all of the students are working on writing research papers to prepare us for this trip and give us all some background knowledge on the various topics we will be learning about during this course. My research paper topic reflected on the Australian Football League Women's (AFLW) and female leadership and representation within that league. During my research for this assignment, I was able to learn that the league began in 2017 and has found great success in its skillful players, online viewership, and strong female leaders within each team. Talented general managers Nicole Livingstone and Emma Moore, impressive sports broadcaster Kelli Underwood, and top tier player Jasmine Garner, the entire league is full of successful women the prioritize supporting each other and encouraging diversity within the league. 

In addition to writing our research papers, I have been packing and preparing for our long 15 hour flight to Melbourne. I will be flying from Portland, Oregon to the San Fransisco International Airport where I will meet up with some of my classmates before be board the plane to Melbourne.  

I am looking forward to landing in the beautiful city, grabbing a cup of famous Australian coffee, and heading to the Melbourne Cricket Grounds for a tour of their facilities to kick off our week in Melbourne before we depart for Carins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 15: A Day at the Beach, Rugby Fun, and an Exciting Sharks Game

Today was packed with activities and a ton of fun. We started off with a 45-minute drive from our hotel to the beach, full of excitement for...